Sanctuary Forums
Welcome to the new SeF!
GENS Home - Eidolon SCD Files - GENS SourceF - Downloads
Old 12-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
Shadowpillar
Members

First off: use a stable platform, yet modern platform for development.
Such as Ubuntu. As you can safely bet that it has a stable gtk version. As when gens linux was actively under development a year or two ago, I couldnt use it because gentoo is on the absolute bleeding edge, this is bad when developing something meant for all distros as many may not be up to date yet, and no suggestions to converto to gentoo, as for some people, that isnt viable. (as not all of us have fast computers or connections)

Embedding the window using libgtkgl or glarea. I'd suggest taking a peek at visualboyadvance's gtk ui for reference on the sdl portion. (just for the love of god, dont use gtkmm like they did)

Support for playing things from the cdrom drive would be awesome. Shouldnt be too hard as media players like totem can do it. (simple as accessing the system's cdrom device, actually)

For netplay, I dunno. Unless there's a free and open (as in opensource) gaming network out there somewhere that can be used, if found, good idea to replace kaillera with this on all platforms.

Freedesktop standards, for kde and gnome menu entries, that way gens can be accessed from all freedesktop compatible environments.

Using png and xbm files instead of windows bitmaps and windows icon files. (png would be best as it can be loaded on windows as well.)

If I could actually sit down and code, I'd help.
The fullscreen support is nice.
Some reason, the SDL version moves slowly on my system, gl moves faster and better (thanks to the geforce mx4k card I own)
however, sound has a lot of clipping at 44100 hz. maybe be corrected using something like libmad for playback instead of incorporating mpeg123 code? Dunno if that would help.

Also, I realise gens is being overhauled with cleaner code, maybe some of these suggestions can be applied?

Distribution format for binaries: Autopackage (http://www.autopackage.org) similar to windows installer. if a user doesnt have autopackage, they need not to be root. the autopackage backend will install and then install the package. pretty slick.

Then third parties can make .deb files or .rpm's and whatnot for those who must have such things installed natively to their distribution.

Default directories for savestates,screenshots, and whatnot under ~/.gens/

Gens would make a great genesis emulator (and does) under linux.
Still would be one of the better linux/unix ports of an emulator with these suggestions.
Shadowpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Zoink
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shadowpillar @ Dec. 12 2005,10:42)]First off: use a stable platform, yet modern platform for development.
Such as Ubuntu. As you can safely bet that it has a stable gtk version. As when gens linux was actively under development a year or two ago, I couldnt use it because gentoo is on the absolute bleeding edge, this is bad when developing something meant for all distros as many may not be up to date yet, and no suggestions to converto to gentoo, as for some people, that isnt viable. (as not all of us have fast computers or connections)

Embedding the window using libgtkgl or glarea. I'd suggest taking a peek at visualboyadvance's gtk ui for reference on the sdl portion. (just for the love of god, dont use gtkmm like they did)

Support for playing things from the cdrom drive would be awesome. Shouldnt be too hard as media players like totem can do it. (simple as accessing the system's cdrom device, actually)

For netplay, I dunno. Unless there's a free and open (as in opensource) gaming network out there somewhere that can be used, if found, good idea to replace kaillera with this on all platforms.

Freedesktop standards, for kde and gnome menu entries, that way gens can be accessed from all freedesktop compatible environments.

Using png and xbm files instead of windows bitmaps and windows icon files. (png would be best as it can be loaded on windows as well.)

Some reason, the SDL version moves slowly on my system, gl moves faster and better (thanks to the geforce mx4k card I own)
however, sound has a lot of clipping at 44100 hz. maybe be corrected using something like libmad for playback instead of incorporating mpeg123 code? Dunno if that would help.

Also, I realise gens is being overhauled with cleaner code, maybe some of these suggestions can be applied?

Distribution format for binaries: Autopackage (http://www.autopackage.org) similar to windows installer. if a user doesnt have autopackage, they need not to be root. the autopackage backend will install and then install the package. pretty slick.

Then third parties can make .deb files or .rpm's and whatnot for those who must have such things installed natively to their distribution.

Still would be one of the better linux/unix ports of an emulator with these suggestions.
The Gens For Linux developers are dead. They will never listen. I hope their throats get slashed.
Zoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
msimplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Zoink @ Jan. 03 2006,06:58)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shadowpillar @ Dec. 12 2005,10:42)]First off: use a stable platform, yet modern platform for development.

The Gens For Linux developers are dead. They will never listen. I hope their throats get slashed.
calm down its not that bad lol at least they gave us a port for linux.
Its currently also the best Megadrive / 32x / sega cd emulator available if not the only one so quit whining
msimplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
sith-smasher

Send a message via Yahoo to sith-smasher

Don't revive dead topics!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #5

Indeed, it's a good idea to "reheat" old topics sometimes. It's fun to dig into the forums...

And yes, Gens for Linux needs an update (either that, or a native Fusion port!)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
MagicOPromotion

Default Gens Linux port

Hey guys..

I just tried this GREAT and amusing game on my brothers windows computer, and I were wondering if you could port the game for linux?

The thread about KDev and the game...how is this turning out...and will we see a release for linux soon
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
SvetaEmiple
Minion

Default Gens Linux port

Does anyone know what the purpose of the two metal bars below the DC IN port on the PSP are?

I wonder why no one has said anything about them... unless its somehow obvious...?
SvetaEmiple is offline   Reply With Quote