Sanctuary Forums
Welcome to the new SeF!
GENS Home - Eidolon SCD Files - GENS SourceF - Downloads
Old 08-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
gorec98979
Members

Although this chip lived a vary short life and for which the only game that was relesed with this chip was also relesed for the 32x & in turn over shadowing the SVP. It is still nice to apprieciate the chip and the ablilities it gave to the genesis. perhaps one day someone can reverse engineer and emulate the now classic megadrive video game virtua racing.

Sega Virtua Processor
Specifications:

Information Pending!

gorec98979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Shiva
Members

It would be intersting to see the SVP emulated. It's sort of like the DSP4 for the SNES (both used for only one game), except the DSP4 is partially emulated now...
Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
Link Hylia
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The SVP (Sega Virtual Processor) consisted of a single Hitachi SH1 chip running at a slower speed than the pair of SH2s used in the 32x.
if it did, that would certainly make it easier, now wouldn't it? sadly, it isn't at all related to the SH-2 processors the 32x uses, and they were emulated first. trust me, we have the best, smartest, most hardcore programmers trying to figure it out, and we have 32xCD emulation before the Genesi Virtua Racing is emulated at all. it's a tough nut to crack, if you will. and no body wants to open them up (more valuable sealed than as a donation)
Link Hylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM   #4
gorec98979
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Link Hylia @ Aug. 08 2004,07:36)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The SVP (Sega Virtual Processor) consisted of a single Hitachi SH1 chip running at a slower speed than the pair of SH2s used in the 32x.
if it did, that would certainly make it easier, now wouldn't it? sadly, it isn't at all related to the SH-2 processors the 32x uses, and they were emulated first. trust me, we have the best, smartest, most hardcore programmers trying to figure it out, and we have 32xCD emulation before the Genesi Virtua Racing is emulated at all. it's a tough nut to crack, if you will. and no body wants to open them up (more valuable sealed than as a donation)
Do you know why 32xCD's work now? I do, because the kega fusion emulated the 32x as an add-on and not a seperate system like the gens did. It really has little too do with programming and more to do with the program structure & how the emulator treated 32x emulation. - Steve Snake could not understand what I was saying I just want to clearify the information - what that statement is a tribute too is just one of the main factors NOT THE ONLY FACTOR of 32xCD emulation!!!!

Trust Me! Thoughs are the specs of the SVP chip, I compared the SVP SH1 DSP (data signal processing) chip clock speed in relation to the 32x (23mhz) Duel SH2 processors (meaning two seperate SH2 processors working in conjungion) clock speed cause I am unsure exactly what the clock speed of the SVP's single SH1 was. The SH2 in the 32x is different in a number of ways (the 32x could pump about 50,000 polygons\per sec for one), but they do belong to the same family of chips. origionally the SVP was going to have a samsung processor however sega renigged. I would also like to point out that both the Sega Saturn (2 SH2's & 1 SH1 - both more advanced versions) & Dreamcast (SH4) use Hitachi SH family processors as well. I myself have little programming experiance so I myself can not do it. All I ever programmed were some java webpages and TI-83 calculator games. I am more in the technology side of the industry.

One of the reasons the chip lived such a short life was because of the price hike of the cart ($70-$90). Sega was planning on using the SVP in the Virtua Fighter games made for the genesis. But sales lagged with virtua racing, so sadly they did'nt use the chip in the megadrive VF games.

I also happen to think that programmers don't care about emulating the SVP chip because of the fact virtura racing deluxe for the 32x exsists. No one cares about the nastalga value of the SVP chip and the megadrive virtua racing. That is what truely is sad.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
x86asm
Members

Send a message via ICQ to x86asm

wow I never knew it was based on the Hitach SH-1 CPU. If it was really so then it would be emulated by now cause the SH-1 to the SH-2 is like a Intel 8086 to an 80386. The SH-1 is much simpler to emulate. I personally think it was a very bad idea to embed chips into the cartridges of certain games. This jacked up the price and didnt make much of an improvement over the original stuff. I myself am a emulator programmer. I have already written a farily efficient Z80 CPU core (ranks up there in speed with RAZE and such) and currently and working on a 68000 and SH-2 emulation cores. I get very interested when I actually find something I can reverse engineer and present to the world. All the easy/available stuff has already been sufficiently RE'd though .

Though as stated before, its right, if the same game has been ported to make use of the fairly powerful SH-2 CPU then I myself would not bother looking at the SVP. Isn't VR DX just as good?!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:50 AM   #6
gorec98979
Members

x86asm

Then why is sega saturn emulation so difficult to emulate. The saturn uses 2x "SH2" processor's and 1x "SH1" processor & even has an "68000" CPU.

You mentioned the classic 386 CPU. Let's take for instance the 386SX and the 386DX (both in the same family of chips). The DX has many differences including the data bus width. The DBW (data bus width) is 32bit in the 386DX where as with the 386SX it only has a 16bit DBW (data bus width). So you see although they are both 386 chips they would both be reverse enginered differently. As for the 8088 & the 8086 CPU's though's not only have a DBW that is 16bit (8bit in the 8088) but the internal register for thoughs chips is 16bit (both) too.

Jesus people I know what I am talking about! It's not like I pulled this stuff out of thin air! (the reason no one emulates the SVP is because no one with the programming expertise cares. is'nt that the problem - even you said you did'nt care and that the VR DX is just as good)

I think the chips enhanced some games. Take for instance Doom for the SNES (3.54mhz - without chip), this uses the Super FX 2 chip. Now compare that to Zero Tolarance for the Sega genesis (6-7mhz - standard). give me a break dude.

"the whole idea of emulation is the nastalga factor of the emulator and the games that once ruled the world - If sega technology contractors and Hitachi technology designers took the time to design the chip and programmer's took the time to create the game for which the chip was used; the leased someone could do is respect the people who worked so hard to make the chip and the game a reality"

Having the SVP emulated would put the emulator in a class of it's own. VR DX is just as good but not the same.

Old 08-10-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Shiva
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (gorec98979 @ Aug. 10 2004,08:50)]You mentioned the classic 386 CPU. Let's take for instance the 386 and the 386DX (both in the same family of chips). The DX has many differences including the data bus width. The DBW (data bus width) is 32bit in the 386DX where as with the orgional 386 it only has a 16bit DBW (data bus width).
AFAIK, the data bus width is the only difference between the 386DX and 386SX. Also, I believe the 386DX was released first.
Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #8
gorec98979
Members

Shiva
I will go a little more in depth for you:
The 386SX differed from the standard 386DX in 2 ways; First, the external data bus was reduced to 16bits (AKA DBW) to match the 286's external data bus. Second, the address bus was reduced to 24bits - this limited the address range of the 386SX to 16MB (could say that makes it three differences - technicallity). - go back to class shiva -

However, in the reverse engineering process this could cause many programming changes and differences.

The point I was trying to make was that the SH1 for the saturn and the SH1 used in the SVP are different chips to a certain extent. The SH2 might be more advanced making the SH1 simple. But there is more to it than that. The same goes for the SH2's used in the saturn. Just because they are SH2's & SH1's does'nt mean its all shoots & latters from here. You can have 2 processors in the same family or class that function in a much different way.

PS: that was a "typo\thought mixup" sorry the DX was the standard 386 chip and the SX well ---- it is changed now thanks man. I think part of my brain was thinking of the 486 cpus werid but understandable (because the DX in the 486 was far better considering the DX486 had a math co-processor, where as the 486SX did not - The 486DX was the newer chip between the 486DX & SX) Kinda got things mixed up a bit there - lol. BRaiN FaRt haha the DX386 was the standard 386 LOL Jeez I am trying to make a point and I F*&k it all up. Whats next Local Bus video card's (wonder what the frame rate would be with Kega Fusion). lol

Old 08-10-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
gorec98979
Members

These pages should help:
SVP Specs:

http://homepages.compuserve.de/rspezial/vidgas/svp1.htm

Virtua Racing Reveiw:

http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews...w.php?index=80

Information page: - Read this section (talks about SVP Chip) - "1994 Mega Drive 32X : Mars Project"

http://www.captainwilliams.co.uk/sega/segaages.html

Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
x86asm
Members

Send a message via ICQ to x86asm

I understand man don't worry haha. I'm just so shocked though, I thought the SVP was some weird custom ship that no one other than Sega knew about! gorec is right, the 386SX had a 24-bit address bus and a 16-bit data bus. I was once the proud owner of one of these chips lol, clocked it at 16Mhz haha.

Well the next step is obtaining a cart of the game and observing how the SVP interacts with the main machine with a scope or digital analyzer.